Monday, September 13, 2010

Martha, Martha, Martha(StewartWeddings.com)

Oh, how you make my life difficult! What's that, you say? How can your easy-to-navigate site loaded with lots of wedding goodies give me trouble? That's precisely why -- you have too many goodies! How can I possibly choose one cake when I love ten? A handful of decorations when I love a barrel full? Three centerpieces when I love twenty?

Oh, wait. What? THREE centerpieces, you say?! Why, yes, I think I shall... Someone posted a question regarding what centerpieces we all were using on TheKnot.com's app (yes, I'm an iPhone lover). Immediately I decided that this would be the topic of my blog today.

I'm a person who likes things that keep my attention. Varying color. Differing size. Mixed and matched patterns. So how can I take all of these lovely, different centerpieces and make them congruent? Well, let's find one common denominator. Aha! Candles! I have had a long-standing relationship with candles throughout the years. Scents. Sizes. Holders. Love, love, love. So it only makes sense that I carry that love into my reception decor. for cheap. Enter Dollar Tree.

As I've mentioned to a few of you, I'm definetly a bride on a budget. However, this doesn't mean I'm going to sacrifice style or taste. It just means I'm going to have to get creative. Good thing that's my second name! After Googling "Candle Centerpieces" and "Flowerless Centerpieces," I headed to The Dollar Tree armed with lots of ideas and a little bit of money. I searched the entire store -- seasonal, kitchenware (you'd be surprised at how many dishes and glasses they have!), floral, home goods. What I left with was a medium-sized clear plastic bowl, three 11" tall glass single-stem flower vases, some Spanish moss, and a Snickers.

45 minutes and a half-eaten candy bar later (this was pre-"wedding way of life"), and I have a centerpiece! I threw in some tulle, LED tealights, votive holders, water, and wax candles -- all left over from my sister's wedding (congrats Alicia and Andrew! 9/4/10) -- and I had created one of 25 (or so) table decorations for approximately $6. Not bad, eh? The next day I returned to DT and bought 27 vases, 10 plastic bowls, and 5 bags of moss. The checkout lady loved me.

So my question of the day: does anyone care to divulge how you came about deciding upon your centerpieces or other table decor?

Until next time,
Miss Forget-Me-Knot

No comments:

Post a Comment